UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Over the past 10 years, Serbia has made progress in modernizing its strategic and regulatory framework to support development of the information society. With digital transformation of the national economy and public administration high on the government's agenda, Serbia now has a good chance for future-proofing its administration's capabilities for rapid deployment of cost-effective, secure, and citizen-focused services, and coordinated implementation of ICT policies. First steps have been made with the establishment of the central Office for IT and e-Government (ITE) and strengthening the Ministerial Council for IT and Innovative Entrepreneurship, but expectations from these institutions run high and they need an initial push to meet the expectations and demonstrate the ability of the government to deliver.
Serbia was the first country in the region to develop and adopt the Artificial Intelligence (AI) strategy for the period 2020-2025 (hereinafter AI strategy) and to established the Institute for AI. The newly established Institute would lead the development of AI and provide the ground for rapid development of innovations and start up ecosystem and attract the new investment.
This project aims to support the efforts to build internal capacities of the ITE by establishing an AI implementation unit to strengthen and shape the nascent AI ecosystem in Serbia and improve collaboration among public and private sector and academia. The AI implementation unit seeks to underpin the institutional and legal frameworks for AI, secure effective coordination and monitoring of the AI strategy and assist other institutions in introducing AI use cases in priority sectors (medicine, energy, telecommunications, transport/mobility, smart cities, education, agriculture, justice/ethics, security, environment, public administration). Thus, the project aims at enhancing the digital transformation of Serbia’s economy, in particular through increasing human capital, enhancing the regulatory framework and implementing innovative solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Analyst for AI is responsible for the effective day-to-day implementation of the “Harnessing AI for the common good – facilitating an AI-friendly ecosystem in Serbia” project, under the guidance of the Portfolio Manager. The Analyst for AI will also provide support to AI-related issues on other projects in the Competitiveness and Digital Governance portfolio on an as-needed basis.
In the execution of her/his duties, Analyst for AI is expected to:
Provide specific policy advice and support to the Implementation unit within Office for ITE related to the introduction and implementation of AI use cases in priority sectors; ensuring that issues are identified and addressed; progress and results reporting:
Generate new ideas and project proposals in priority sectors (e.g., medicine, energy, telecommunications, transport/mobility, smart cities, education, agriculture, justice/ethics, security, environment, public administration);
Streamline, advise, and monitor the development and implementation of AI use cases in priority sectors;
Facilitate and monitor the support offered to institutions implementing AI use cases in priority sectors, including supervision of a team of consultants, design of public outreach, training and other capacity building activities as well as development of knowledge products;
Support implementation of a range of activities, including policy advice, technical support, events, facilitation of working groups, and provide support to the growth of the nascent AI ecosystem;
Actively seek out emerging actors and new potential partners on all levels;
Regularly communicate with the leading national and international experts and institutions to secure efficient delivery of results;
Prepare presentations of project findings and results for distributions to key policy-makers and opinion leaders;
Identify funding opportunities for the sustained financing of the program. Map the needed investments and provide recommendation for appropriate funding sources (including Government and donor funding).
Maintain regular communication with stakeholders and building networks:
Maintain good cooperation with a diverse network of partners, including high-level decision makers in the national government, local self-governments, public institutions, CSOs, businesses, research/academic institutions, media, and other relevant stakeholders in project related fields;
Maintain regular contacts with beneficiaries and service providers to ensure relevance and quality of project outputs;
Support the Portfolio Manager and Digital team with data and knowledge collected in implementation and advise UNDP staff on AI-related issues in project work;
Support knowledge sharing among project partners and within UNDP.
Provide support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
Design, apply and iterate mechanisms for continuous learning on AI, socialize learnings among partners and stakeholders, and feed insights back into the AI project;
Support activities related to assessing capacities and needs of government organizations and partners, in close collaboration with national counterparts, at both central and local level;
Facilitate team’s learning and knowledge sharing;
Perform other duties as required.
Analyst for AI will work under the overall guidance and supervision of the Portfolio Manager, Competitiveness and Digital Governance.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies
- Business Management
- Digital Awareness and Literacy
- Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skillfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed
- Digital & Innovation
- Digital ecosystems
- Knowledge of how they work, understanding of the opportunities and challenges for governments and society
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in information technology, economy, social sciences or related field;
- Bachelor`s degree in combination with 2 years of experience will be given due consideration in lieu of Master`s degree.
- Minimum 2 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of experience in implementing IT projects preferably in the field of data science and/or machine learning;
- Experience in team work and coordination of complex projects/processes that included extensive communication, coordination and facilitation requirements;
- Experience in partnership building at international, national, regional and local level
- Experience in working or cooperating with some of the priority sectors will be considered as a strong asset (medicine, energy, telecommunications, transport/mobility, smart cities, education, agriculture, justice/ethics, security, environment, public administration)
- Understanding of Serbia's political, institutional and socio-economic situation
- Familiarity with the AI ecosystem in Serbia, current AI policies and legislation
- Familiarity with the EU GDPR will be considered as an asset
- Knowledge in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web-based management systems
- Good application of Results-Based Management
- Extensive knowledge of potentials and pitfalls of AI technology
- Excellent communication, coordination and facilitation skills
- Consistently ensures timeliness and quality of work
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling ethical standards
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Serbian and English.
The position is based in Belgrade, however potential official travel might occur.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.