Foursquare is the leading independent location technology and data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces and physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, and achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquare’s location tech stack is being utilized by the world’s largest enterprises and most recognizable brands.
Foursquare’s flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact and drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest and real-world behavior patterns (Places and Visits), and tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification and visualization (Unfolded Studio).
About the Team:
The Places Team is responsible for building and curating Foursquare's Places Database. We combine billions of individual pieces of information into a comprehensive dataset of hundreds of millions of places around the world. The database spans every type of point of interest across the world with over a thousand different types of places such as restaurants, stores, parks, hotels, and colleges. In addition to powering our branded products, Places powers customer applications ranging from maps, navigation, analytics, and everything in between for tens of thousands developers, including Apple, Microsoft, Uber, and many more. Users, including software engineers, data scientists, analysts, and product managers, mix real-time precision edits with a git-like branch and merge model for large-scale changes.
About the Position:
Foursquare is seeking a full stack engineer to join the Places team as a member of the human moderation sub-team, focused on building out our suite of front-end tools that enable Foursquare Superusers and employees to continually invest in making our Places data the best it can be. This person will be responsible for multiple frontend and backend systems focused on the updating and management of Foursquare Places content, queues that users use to submit changes to the data, vote on and accept changes, and reputation systems for the users interacting with these systems.
In this role you’ll:
- Implement effective, robust, and maintainable full-stack applications by following a set of clear tasks received from your colleagues
- Work closely with the Product Management and Design teams to build requirements and implementation specifications
- Collaborate with the other engineers in the Places team to achieve company goals
- Take responsibility and ownership of the development, deployment, and support of our production systems
What you’ll need:
If you have more or less experience than listed, please apply anyways and we will see if another role aligns better with your experience.
- BS/BA in a technical field such as computer science or equivalent experience.
- Familiarity with REST APIs
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
Nice to have:
- React development experience
- Server-side development experience, and knowledge of, or an openness to learning Scala
- Experience building scalable distributed systems
Benefits and perks:
- We are a fully flexible company that allows you to work from any location in Serbia or from our office
- 20 days of paid vacation
- Summer Fridays, two non-working Fridays each July and August
- Home Office Setup – you get all necessary hardware
- Learning and development programs for individual contributors and managers
- Individual, professional coaching for all full-time employees
- Annual Budget for education, professional growth, etc.
- Restricted Stock Units
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.