Smallstep is building an open source identity authority plus toolchain – called step – that lets software teams securely connect and operate apps running across clouds, containers, serverless, and connected devices. We believe the only way to successfully secure cloud-native computing is to move past perimeter security using world-class PKI (certificates) and mutual TLS.
Smallstep is a nimble deep-tech startup of seasoned experts In San Francisco. We are looking for a UI/UX engineer who can dabble in fullstack API development (e.g., to unblock themselves when minor API tweaks are necessary) and who is interested in building infrastructure tools with exceptional developer experience. You’ll be responsible to build out step’s user interface and prototype new products with the goal to increase the ease-of-use of PKI & mTLS for a broader audience. This position is ideally in San Francisco but we encourage remote applicants.
You are a great engineer
- You have strong knowledge of JS, HTML/CSS, and React or relevant frameworks
- You feel comfortable working with Golang-based API servers & codebases
- Technologies such as HTTPS/TLS, certificates (X.509), and OAuth are not foreign to you
- You have spent 3+ years shipping software in professional environments
- You have built UX for technical audiences, ideally developers, before
- You have a good eye for aesthetics in frontend web development
You want to join a tight-knit team
- You love open source software and communities
- You believe distributed systems deserve great security out-of-the-box
- You want to be part of the paradigm shift to move past network perimeter security
- You are collaborative, low-ego, and results-driven
- You like making impactful contributions but also enjoy helping others do the same
- You want to work with founders in a fast-growing startup with excellent investors
- Interest or passion to evangelize through speaking & writing (nice to have)
At smallstep, we work reasonable, flexible hours. We look for people who are thoughtful, can break down problems, and often work individually. You are trusted to work on your own and to ask for help when blocked. As an early stage startup, smallstep teams get the benefit of working across many areas and contributing directly to the success of the organization. smallstep is a well-funded startup backed by Accel, boldstart.vc, Bain Capital, and upside partnership.