Foursquare is the leading independent location technology and data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces and physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, and achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquare’s location tech stack is being utilized by the world’s largest enterprises and most recognizable brands.
Foursquare’s flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact and drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest and real-world behavior patterns (Places and Visits), and tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification and visualization (Unfolded Studio).
About the Team:
The Places Team is responsible for building and curating Foursquare's Places Database. We combine billions of individual pieces of information into a comprehensive dataset of hundreds of millions of places around the world. The database spans every type of point-of-interest across the world with over a thousand different types of places such as restaurants, stores, parks, hotels, and colleges. In addition to powering our branded products, Places powers customer applications ranging from maps, navigation, analytics and everything in between for tens of thousands developers, including Apple, Microsoft, Uber and many more. Users, including software engineers, data scientists, analysts, and product managers, mix real time precision edits with a git-like branch and merge model for large scale changes.
In this role, you'll:
Foursquare is seeking a Full Stack Engineer to join the Places team as a member of the human moderation sub team, focused on building out our suite of tools which enable Foursquare Superusers and employees to continually invest in making our Places data the best it can be. This person will be responsible for multiple frontend and backend systems focused on the updating and management of Foursquare Places content, queues that users use to submit changes to the data, vote on and accept changes, and reputation systems for the users interacting with these systems.
What you'll need:
- Design and implement effective, robust, and maintainable full-stack applications
- Work closely with the Product Management and Design teams to build requirements and implementation specifications
- Collaborate with the Product Management, Places Quality, and Data Engineering teams to achieve company goals
- Take responsibility and ownership of the development, deployment, and support of our production systems
- Drive technical reviews to ensure designs efficiently meet product requirements and describe an optimal implementation
- Help scope team projects into well-defined milestones to incrementally deliver improvements
- Mentor and develop engineering teammates
- 5+ years of full stack software development experience on enterprise or consumer web applications
- Server-side development experience, and knowledge of, or an openness to learning Scala
- Familiarity with databases
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
Nice to have:
- React development experience
- Experience building scalable distributed systems
- We are a fully flexible company that allows you to work from any location in Serbia where we have an office.
- Competitive compensation.
- 20 days of paid vacation.
- Paid sick leave.
- Budget for education.
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.