Upstack is a friendly team of the world’s most talented freelance developers, working remotely for some of the coolest start-ups. It’s fun and challenging to join the top 1% of the world’s developers. We have a strong focus on quality clients and developers and try to work on software that we love! Upstack is officially based in New York City and we have offices in NYC and LA. We also have development hubs opening up all around the place with our first in Brasov, Romania. Our developers work from home and co-working spaces and sometimes even on the beach!
- Work with a small team of top-tier developers and designers in building truly great games
- Meet with the design team to discuss gaming ideas and specifications
- Transform design specification into functional games
- Plan and implement game functionality
- Establish an effective strategy and development pipeline
- Ensure the best performance, quality, and responsiveness of applications and games
- Implement required server-side programming: matchmaking, load balancing, anti-cheat, leaderboards
- Support MMO load and stability, scalability functions, latency performance, Instancing, recovery, and stress testing.
- Identify process and application bottlenecks and bugs
- Test game functionality and theme dynamics.
- Design and build game patches and upgrades.
- Participate in scrums consisting of cross-functional teams, both software and hardware
- Ensure that features are being delivered efficiently and on-time
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years work experience as a software engineer and in the gaming industry
- Freelance and/or contract experience
- Experience with game physics and particle systems
- Familiarity with level design and planning
- Experience with mobile and console game development
- Good knowledge of an object-oriented programming language, preferably C#
- Good knowledge of gameplay programming
- Shipped a single and/or multiplayer game
- In-depth knowledge of Unity, Unity Game Engine, and Unity3D software.
- Knowledge of 3D development and integrated game physics.
- Experience with scripting, textures, animation, GUI styles, and user session management
- Experience with console and mobile game development.
- Experience with memory and space optimization.
- Knowledge of scripting, animation, session management, and textures.
- Good troubleshooting skills.
- Experience in working on a mobile strategy game is considered a big plus
- Experience in delivering mobile games for Android / iOS;
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming
- Multiplayer experience is a plus
- AAA and MMO experience are a plus
Benefits when working with Upstack
- Starter pack: Upstack swag (t-shirts, hoodies, stickers, etc.)
- Work set-up: laptop or device as needed based on project's requirements;
- Ability to choose the project and the team;
- Support for personal and professional growth;
- Bonus structure for special events in your live (marriage, having a baby)
- Flexible working hours;
- Remote first – you can work from anywhere you choose;
Ee love when engineers send us a link to their Github and/or StackOverflow accounts, technical blog, or links to apps they've shipped.