LearnUpon is looking for a Senior Data Infrastructure Engineer to join our team in Serbia.
LearnUpon LMS helps organizations train their employees, partners, and customers. Businesses can manage, track, and achieve their unique learning goals — all through a single, powerful solution. Our product is customer focused – we put them at the heart of everything we do.
With offices in Dublin (our HQ), Philadelphia, Belgrade, and Sydney, we are a team that puts our customers' experience at the heart of everything we do. We're always striving for the best solution (not the easy one), and we go the extra mile to deliver work we're proud of.
Our culture fosters open, collaborative environments where our team and individual accomplishments are celebrated and encouraged. At LearnUpon, where we work together as a friendly, supportive team who, most importantly, like to have fun.
You will be part of the Data Team, which sits within LearnUpon’s Engineering group. The Data Team is a small but growing collection of analysts, data scientists and engineers whose primary purview is Offline data processing – the entire funnel from app tracking to downstream storage and replication, to the final data analytics and modeling that help power our business. While you will sit within the Data Team, your scope is a bit broader: we want our customers to benefit from our rich data as well, so you can expect to be collaborating heavily with our App engineering teams on in-App batch and real-time and insights.
What will I be doing?
As a Senior Data Infra Engineer, you will be central to the design and build out of our storage model for large scale batch processing and near-line stream processing. Help us transition from small data to Big Data, as we scale our App tracking and begin centralizing vendor data. And do so while maintaining strong principles of data governance and data privacy.
- Collaborating with App Engineers and SRE, drive aspects of data infrastructure, providing and developing solutions to data storage and scaling (e.g., requirements gathering, design, implementation, stress testing for schema evolution and load growth, documentation, and maintenance).
- Inform design of data ingestion pipelines, from snapshot and replication strategy to downstread consumption.
- Design and build out databases, schemas, and tables to enable efficient, performant querying and job execution, for use cases involving both structured and unstructured data.
- Work across a system built on MySql, PSQL, ruby on rails and python, within AWS, but with a Team open to any future architecture.
- Educate and enable both producers and consumers of data insight to work smarter, ensuring best practices and standards in our data ecosystem are shared across teams.
- Adhere to and drive modern software engineering practices through design reviews.
- Mentor and develop junior talent.
What skills do I need?
- 5+ years of experience working in data architecture, data modeling, and building data pipelines & distributed systems at scale
- 3+ years of experience architecting mid and large-scale distributed computing systems with AWS / Azure / Google Cloud / Open source technologies.
- 2+ years of experience with a modern data stack (Kafka, Spark, Airflow, lakehouse architectures, real-time databases, dbt, etc.) and cloud data-warehouses such as RedShift, Snowflake.
- Experience with SQL/Relational as well as NoSQL databases (familiarity with Dimensional Modeling)
- Experience with manipulating large-scale structured and unstructured data
- Experience working with databases that power APIs for front-end applications
- A problem solver, capable of tracking down root causes independently but still working with a collaborative mindset.
- Functional English written and verbal communication skills.
- (nice to have) Experience with Python
Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box in order to apply, we’re always happy to review applications and take all experience into consideration. We do our best to provide feedback where we can!
Why work with us?
- Work in a fun and supportive environment with regular team events.
- Excellent career progression – take LearnUpon where you think it can go.
- Structured learning environment.
- Competitive salary and company ESOP.
- Private health insurance.
- 25 days annual leave + 1 Company day off.
What is the Hiring Process?
Applicants for the position can expect the following hiring process:
- Qualified applicants will be invited to schedule a 30-minute call, then a 45 min coding phone screen.
- Successful candidates will then be invited to a series of practical interviews, and then offered an opportunity to meet with our CEO/CTO.
- Successful candidates will be contacted with an offer to join our team.
LearnUpon is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, marital status, family status, age disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, membership of the Traveller community, or any other legally protected status.